Friday, January 14, 2011

The Healing Power of Music

Yesterday, my sister-in-law posted a blog about not being apologetic about who we are in our clothes we wear, movies we watch and music we listen to. Towards the beginning, she mentioned how several people had mentioned that classical music helps them to invite the Spirit. Yesterday, I made a similar re-discovery with myself.

In the hustle and bustle of life, I haven't turned on music to work to or just listen to in a long time. That's not to say I didn't often have a song that I was humming, whistling, or singing, as my co-workers and students could attest.

Over the past week and a half, though, I've been trying to get over a cold. It's been worse than most that I get, and I've been feeling a little rotten. Two days ago I showed my students a site that has a lot of non-copyrighted music for sound tracks, etc. We're making movies in Geography. In the process, I was re-introduced to classical music. I downloaded several tracks and began listening to them, and I have felt SO much better. It's probably partly me just getting over my cold, but psychologically I feel a lot more alive.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...I will often turn on the Classical Music station after a day of teaching and it just melts the tension away...I need to do it more often!! Hope you get over your cold...I've had the same one that has been coming back for over a month!!!

    ReplyDelete